The only ancient temple for the Lord of wealth – Kubera can found in Harikesavanallur -A small village located on the banks of the holy Tamaraparani river in the Tirunelveli district of TamilNadu, South India. It was also known as Kuberapuri.
The Lord Shiva here is known by the name of Ariyanathar and the Goddess is known by the name of Periyanayaki. As seen from the inscriptions, this temple is around 1400 years old.
- There is a separate shrine dedicated to Lord Kubera. Devotees offer prayers in this temple for getting rid of financial difficulties and acquire wealth.
- The Lord is said to have been worshipped by Kubera, the lord of wealth. There are two shiva lingas here – Ariyanathar and Kubera Linga. Hence this village gets another name – Kuberapuri.
- This is probably the one temple which has a shrine dedicated to Jyeshta Devi. She is seen with the Manthi , the son of Lord Shani. She helps one get rid of all negative influences of planet Chevvai or Mangal.
- Lord Dakshinamoorthy appears here are Medha Dakshinamoorthy (Medha meaning exceptional knowledge). One of the very few temples to have this shrine.
- There is a shrine dedicated to Lord Ruru Bhairvara (one of the eight forms of the bhairava
- Unlike other temples, there are two shrines for Lord Nataraja.
- Temple History
- This temple has been built by Nindraseer nedumaran, a pandiyan king .He was also called as Arikesavan or Koon pandiyan and the village thus derives its name. The temple was built around 1400 years ago. Subsequently the temple was renovated and rebuilt by First Sadayawarman Kulasekara Pandian during 12-13th Century.
- Temple Deities
- Lord Shiva
- Lord Shiva is known by the name of Ariyanathar, meaning rare to be found Lord. There is also Another shiva linga which has been worshipped by Kubera, the lord of wealth. It is called as Kubera Linga.
- Goddess here is known by the name of Bruhan Nayaki or Periya Nayaki ( Bruhan or Periya means Big – Here it signifies the enormous compassion of the divine mother).
- Medha Dakshinamoorthy
- Lord Dhakshinamoorthy in this temple is one of the five guru stalangal. The other four are in Thiruvidaimaruthur, Attalanallur, Thenthirubhuvanam, Idaikkaal. In our temple, Lord Dhakshinamoorthy poses like blessing his devotee with his left hand and right hand with a small sign in it.
- Jyeshta Devi
- Lord jeshtadevi in this temple is believed to cure the maanthi (sevvaai thosham). Recently, hundreds of families visited ourtemple to do the respective poojas.
- The other deities are
- Lord Mukkurni Vinayaka (Like in Madurai Meenakshi Temple)
- Jura devar – This form of Lord Shiva is with 3 legs and is worshipped to get rid of all illness.
- Saptha kanya – Bramhi, Mahaswari, Vaishnavi, Kaumari, Varahi, Narasimhi,Chamundi
- Seperate shrine for Shani bhagavan
- Temple’s thala virusham- Nelli maram (Amla, Gooseberry) is located behind the Shiva shrine.
- For more details contact
- Prakash – 9944326688
- Sivaya Namaha – 9884126417