Location:- Located in central Java region of Indonesia, is a Hindu temple. This temple is around 10 kilometers from the city of Yogyakarta. This temple is a part of UNESCO world heritage sites. Buddhist and Hindu temples of Indonesia are collectively known as Candi. Hence, locals call this place Candi Prabanan .
This temple was constructed during the 9th century during the Sanjaya dynasty under Rakai Pikatan. Subsequently many kings expanded the temple arena.
Main Deity:- This temple is dedicated to Trimurti or holy trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.
Legend:- Once there was a man named Bandung Bondowoso who loved a woman named Roro Jonggrang and wanted to marry her. To refuse his marriage Roro Jonggrang she proposed a challenge and asked him to create a temple with 1000 statues in one night. As he created 999 statues, Roro Jonggrang asked the village ladies to start pounding rice so that the rooster crows. Once the rooster crowed, Bandung thought it was morning and left the temple incomplete. Once he came to know about the conspiracy he cursed Roro Jonggrang into becoming the last statue.
- The temple building is imposing and strong. It is reminiscent of Hindu architecture. The entire temple is about 150 feet high. The temple consists of hundreds of small temples in the complex.
- The entire temple complex is around 40 hectares. Each temple is carved with intricate stonework. Although the design is rustic, its grandeur transports us to a rich and cultural era.
- The relief of the walls of the temple depict various scenes from Ramayana.
- Roro Jonggrang is considered an incarnation of Devi Parvati. Each main temple for the Trimurti has secondary temples of Nandini for Shiva, Angsa for Brahma, and Garuda for Vishnu.
- During the 16 century, many earthquakes and valconaos destroyed the temple. After 1755, the redevelopment of temple took place
- The Prambanan complex is best visited by walking. In case one gets tired to walking the area, there are toy-trains available to shuttle around the park.
- There are various Buddhist temple like Candi Lumbung and Candi Bubrah that are nearby. These places are a must visit for any visitor coming to Prambanan.
Timings:– 7:30 am to 5:30 pm
How to reach:-
By Road:-The nearest city is Yogyakarta. From Yogyakarta, you can rent a car or taxi to Klaten. The temple is walking distance from Klaten. There are local buses available too.
By Air: Yogyakarta,Jakarta, Bali are nearby airports.